Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mafia Planning
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:46 pm 
First of all, I’m sorry to you all; I’m a crappy mafia. I’m easy to read (I can’t sustain the level of town activity I have when I’m a townie and I seem really stressed), and I’m high-profile, so I’m likely to go on conspiracy theorist lists and be a target for investigations. Also, I’m bad at lying. That said, I’m going to do all I can for mafia, and hopefully I end up being somewhat useful before I die. The things I am good at are planning things, gathering information, getting elected, and drawing information from past games. I’ve read or played in every Live Action Mafia game in the history of MIT, so my strategy guide is pretty thorough.

Our top kill targets (gets less ordered as you go down):
Dgrazian - We need to kill him ASAP. He has a long history of being an effective mafia hunter, and if we don’t kill him, there’s a high chance he’ll singlehandedly catch one of us.
Alex Arkhipov
Josh Frisch
Isaac Grosof
Lisa Zahray
Aok - would be higher, but he looks super sketchy as a townie and may draw suspicion
Lily Chen - same as aok
Miranda Gavrin
Jakob Weisblat
Shi-ke Xue
Lilly Chin
Ishara Nisley
Francesca Majluf - might draw suspicion because she’s a good mafia
Oreo
Frevan
Tsims
Asjm
Ama
Arkadiy

We want to kill Dgrazian day one. We want to elect someone don and have them make the kill. The don shouldn’t be me -- my days are too numbered. If the rules let us, we should see if don-ness applies to our don after they make the first kill, in which case we should elect them afterwards to prevent them from getting outed via a kill-immune Dgrazian.

I will make the non-don kills until I die though, because I’m probably going to die soon (as I said, I’m very readable as mafia / bad at lying). Dying early will hopefully make game less stressful for me too. Definitely we should MtP the first non-don kill we make. We also want to use hitman early.

I’m going to run for police officer. This will let me make all my kills as kabooms. I’m not going to make any fake investigations, because they’ll only help town (given the fact that I’ll be doing the killing and I can’t investigate myself). I’m going run on a ticket with a townie (specifically, Miranda Gavrin). Hopefully they’ll look suspicious when I’m outed as mafia, especially if we let them live. So I’m going to pick someone who is a dangerous mafia and a less dangerous townie.

I’m also going to pm a bunch of people with items and ask for them to give their item to me. I’ve done it several times as town, so it’s not even out of character for me. Hopefully we can get a couple of mics out of circulation.

I think I’ll also claim to be poisoned at the start of day 3. We can also poison someone else for real, preferably someone who will also look sketchy if they live too long. This might cause issues with the mic plan, but I can hopefully delay a reasonable amount of time.

Post subject: Re: Mafia Planning
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:55 am 
Okay, I sent out requests for mics to everyone in possession of one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:29 am 
Responses to mic requests:
Ama - Initially thought she gave it to someone else, but realized she needed to transfer it in person, so she actually still had it. Is planning to give it to me tonight.
ZaphodF - says "I need to think about it,"
Dylanhen - Initially was going to give it to me, but Jakob (who has the receiver) convinced him not to, on the grounds that mafia would kaboom me anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Just got a mic from ZaphodF.

Also, Jakob, you should keep the receiver and give Dylan's mic to Lily Chen. That way if we are unlucky and a rogue does kill Lily, at least we'll be able to get in contact with them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:07 pm 
I'd already planned to give the mic to lily tonight at concert choir. How are kill plans today? I really want to take out a kayak and kill Josh Frisch in the charles, but I'm not sure I actually have time to; also, as Katie suggests, we need to get rid of DGrazian.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm 
Right now we're planning on having the don kill Dgrazian at ET tonight. But we're not sure who don will be yet. I kind of want it to be Sasha or Vlonge because they won't look sketchy for living too long, are unlikely to be on a ton of conspiracy theorist lists, and are relatively experienced players.

Killing Josh in the Charles would also be decent since you're unlikely to get investigated (as far as I know the only people who will be able to visit the middle of the Charles in the next week are Lily and me). Do other players know you can kayak? Also, Gods, would investigators have to go out to the middle of the Charles to investigate, or would they get to cheat and go to the dock or something?

Unfortunately killing Josh means not killing Dgrazian. I'm very slightly suspicious Dgrazian is innocent child, or else why would he say that Lily would conscript him? Slaughter the Weak charges are cheap, but it's also unclear we'd be able to get another kill in today.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:22 pm 
Hmm, ajliu and llwu have both gone kayaking with me before. Also, they kayak in a part of the charles that's not accessible by tech dinghy if you mean you'll be sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:27 pm 
I'd forgotten about this notification. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm 
Also, we have more posts than town. Probably because no kills yet :/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:10 pm 
About to get a mic from Ama.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:02 pm 
Got her receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:03 pm 
Ethan was running away from the murder site shortly afterward. He's either some sort of investigative role, or a serial killer. Don't kill him for now, because the latter is quite likely.

Isaac says that Megan is being way more active this game than normal. He thinks she's either a high-power role, or mafia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am 
Some pre-death musings:
Who we know went to the scene of 34-7: Dgrazian, aok, jusrey (Clint), Shi-ke, ijc (Ian), Arkadiy, kmath, and Ethan. These people are more likely than average to have investigative abilities (and for all but the latter two, to be a serial killer). Ethan and jusrey in particular seem unlikely to have gone just to fake it; they're also probably not activated desperadoes.

Miranda said she was interested in hearing what advice I had for her role, when I was making the role strategy page. So more likely to be a role with complex strategy than one with simple strategy. IMO the roles with high strategic potential / non-obvious strategy are vigilante, innocent child, and gay knight. The ones with some degree of non-obvious strategy are investigator, superhero, desperado, and conspiracy theorist. The role with the most obvious strategy is cynic. She also said on forums "she has evidence of her innocence stronger than these," which suggests innocent child or gay knight.

I'm also going to update our spreadsheet of evil with this info and with activity levels, as evidence by forum posting and who has actually bothered to ask for access to the town spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:34 am 
Also, zmiranda is active to some degree, but he's slightly confused about rules and everything, and I don't think he's been following everything that happens on forums. He's been pretty responsive to my emailing/texting, so you guys should email him at zmiranda@ or text him to get him to make kills and stuff. I've told him to appear as inactive as possible to the town, and to basically only post to mafia den, not giving alibis / voting unless he discusses it here first. I think he'll be almost at don levels of unlikely to get caught from investigations.

There's a blank period today with no desk worker, so I'm going to sign into my guest list and bloat it with live action mafia players, overflowing onto Sam Dukhovni's list if need be. So you guys should all be able to get into Random. Vlonge, Jakob, and Sasha I know are on express guest lists, and can tap in. Jayson is already on my guest list (I think). I'm going to try to get Zach onto Sam Dukhovni's guest list. Email Sam at dukhovni@ if there's some problem and you need to be let in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:52 pm 
So far I've received serial killer messages from:
Miles (gave no info)
Shi-ke (gave no info)
Lily (known fake)
Isaac (says he wants to make a kill in Random in the afternoon)
aok (just says he doesn't believe me, doesn't even claim serial killer)
Dgrazian (hasn't claimed serial killer, but says he will if I make a kill)
Jessk (claimed to be planning to kill Miranda Gavrin at 2:00 pm today).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 pm 
So Jessk has been repeatedly messaging me about stuff. I told her to kill Ethan or Shi-ke, because that wouldn't reveal any information other than what Ethan said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 pm 
Jingyizz says she plans to kill Jack at 4. Jessk says she destroyed a clue at noon.

Also, keep in mind that someone making the kill they've claimed doesn't mean they're actually a serial killer. It's very legit strategy for a vigilante to fake it. Basically just don't kill them / don't push for their lynch. The only reason I gambled on Ethan being serial killer:
1. I had a short expected lifespan anyway.
2. Him looking like a serial killer clearly wasn't part of any particular deception. Plus, he looked like a rogue because of a destroyed clue, which was definitely not faked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:05 pm 
Okay, current count on the number of items I've gotten into mafia hands / out of town hands:
mic 3
mic 4
shovel (well, I started with it)
taser 2 (probably)
taser 4 (probably)
medkit

Hopefully that somewhat compensates for my early demise!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:08 pm 
Jingyizz says she failed to kill Jack. I don't particularly believe her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:51 pm 
Nice collection of items. We should presumably hand them off.

Also very good point about vigilante, I hadn't thought of that play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:19 pm 
I only have the medkit right now. I'm not sure whether to activate it or hand it off. I THINK our rogues are probably Jessk and Jingyizz (they seem pretty legit, and their stories match up), plus no one else sounds legit at all. But we can't be sure, and it might be worth me staying alive to check. For those watching at home (AKA not in the mafia group text)

Jessk's status:
Planned to kill Miranda Gavrin at 2:00 in 6.02. I told her not to at the last minute. She complained about having to abort so late. I didn't say anything more, and she pmed me again asking for another kill target, saying that Miles would be back soon and she wouldn't have any contact if I were vigilanted. I told her "Get Ethan if you can.
Shi-ke is also a reasonable choice if you can't do that." She said she'd try to get Ethan at 7 before his do-not-barge-in class, otherwise she could get Shi-ke tonight at 10 in 6.005 lab hours. I asked her if she destroyed the clue last night, and she said no, she destroyed one at noon today. I gave her the advice "By the way, don't bother destroying clues for my kill today. Going out to destroy a clue is risky business, and it's not worth it all the time (and definitely not worth it if you don't need to shield the kill from investigations). Some notes before your kill:

Ethan is particularly paranoid today, and he runs fast (I tested this empirically earlier today). He also likely has a taser (but I think it's activated with my name). Don't be afraid to abort if it doesn't look like it will work out.

Shi-ke also likely has a taser. I also think it's probably activated with my name.

If you have a hat that doesn't look too out of place, wear it. Your hair is very distinctive."

Jingyizz's status:
She said she planned to kill gurev. Then she claimed she failed. She then asked for a new target. I didn't really believe her, but I told her to kill Ethan/Shi-ke on Day 3. She asked if she could kill Ethan tonight instead. I got worried because that conflicted with Jessk's plan, but I told her to kill Ethan after getting out of his thing at 7-10. (Jessk wanted to do it before). I asked her if she destroyed a clue last night, and she said yes. I told her, "
Oh, important note: Ethan is particularly paranoid today, and he runs fast (I tested this empirically earlier today). He also has a taser (but I think it's activated with my name).

Your best bet is to hope he doesn't recognize you. Don't be afraid to abort the kill if it looks too difficult, and don't panic. If he sees you beforehand, just keep walking like you had somewhere to go."

This notably has an issue, which is that if Jessk is successful, Jingyizz won't have a kill target. Hopefully I live long enough to resolve that issue when it comes up.