Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Day 2 thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:10 pm 
If the mafia wanted to make a kill right now, while people are going in and out of the room, they could do it easily: no one is ever asking the people coming back whether they're alive

Post subject: Re: Day 2 thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 pm 
About 5 seconds after I posted that, Lotta cane to me and whispered that she was dead. No one knows. People are all so careless!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 pm 
Waiting 15 minutes because of Liquid Nitrogen possibly being picked up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 pm 
I made a huge deal (at least three times) about the fact that I have a target on my head and that people should keep a close eye on me....

Town is right to suspect dgrazian.. He was the last person I talked to before Lucy. Too bad he probably won't remember that Lucy walked right by him when he left.

I was carrying an antidote, scope, and some amount of ammo (unclear how much.. I think 2?). These are all items that Josh had at some point but I got back only to give to Lucy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 am 
Yep. I think blumberg's death demonstrates the most basic advantage that the mafia has over the town: the townies care less about the game, since their role has less to do. (Can't even blame the next-most basic advantage, that the townies don't know exactly what to watch out for, and have to divide their attention, because it was really obvious that blumberg was a target, and had told everyone so, and had told everyone exactly how to watch out for her right then.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 am 
Jackie is right.. I should have though to text the people I was with. Oh well.. This still should have been enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:34 am 
Lol about Jackies post about finding all 42 post-it's. I think Pravina told me 50 at some point?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:36 am 
Today's daily drama is introducing some town power into the game.

There's still a long way to go: although the mafia would now likely lose if all of their identities were outed (but even that would still be really close!), the mafia are much more powerful than an already really mafia-favored vanilla game with 3 mafia and 10 townies (mafia can kill 4 people/day instead of 1! There's no way a shield (that doesn't even out a mafia, since the mafia can follow up a failed kill) and a few other weaker items make up for that).

I hope to introduce a lot more liquid nitrogen (for interesting gameplay, it'd be most fun if either everyone had it, so that anyone who ran into a dead person could use it, or if about half of people did, so that you might have to run and find someone with it) and at least one of each of the two methods of reviving people, so people can figure out the point of liquid nitrogen.

I think pravinas's current idea is to adjust the balance gradually to avoid overshooting. (Also, I think the game is a lot more unbalanced currently than pravinas does.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am 
Looks like 48, of which town has found 16 and mafia 7.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:41 am 
Pravina, I'd like to put up a lot more stickies with liquid nitrogen today: it doesn't change the balance, since liquid nitrogen doesn't currently do anything useful, but it gives townies something extra to do, and it readies the field for reviving items. (I'd also like to put in one or two of the reviving items right now, so townies know liquid nitrogen is useful, but that would intrude on your decision of how much power to give out in today's daily drama.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 am 
I think the main thing that is keeping mafia from taking over is not realizing that they can take over? In particular, they don't know what items town has to defend themselves. I was a great kill target because I told Josh all of the items I had.

Pravina: why do mafia know that Alex can't get killed be bang?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 am 
Agreed. What they're doing now isn't really worse for them, just slower. (At least, it wouldn't be worse if not for that its slowerness gives the moderator(s) more time to balance.)

Alex used perfume on himself, which tells the mafia falsely that he's immune to bang for the day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am 
Oh haha.

I just realized that town could have identified mafia early on by individually asking people how many items they started with. Mafia would have had to make up a number. I assume all townies started with 3?

I guess that strategy would have been seen as pretty sketchy though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 am 
Nope, townies started with random numbers of items too. 2-5, I think? Also, the mafia knew enough to get in about the right range, because the mafia-only items all say mafia-only, and they got the same expected number of general items, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 am 
Everyone received a present, and then a bunch of gamestart items were essentially raffled off. Only one townie was left with only one item after the randomization, so I gave Justin an extra Ammo I think? I gave him an extra something, because it would suck to be the only townie with one item.

The next positivity wave should have more LN2, some of the things that combo with LN2, and some combinators.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 am 
Also, I'd rule that LN2 deaths still count for the Bloodthirsty Gun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 am 
Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 pm 
Another idea for an item:

Pat Down: See all of the items on a certain player. (maybe add that the person knows they were patted down)

Also, it might reveal a mafia (if someone checked Josh, it's as good as a role check). I like this because it gives town information that they can use to play well. I am more of a fan of items that are useful iff town plays well as opposed to just straight out helping town. (LN2 has that nice property as well).

In general, I think mafia are OP, but haven't used the fact that they are OP, and are still winning. Mafia are playing well. Town is not. Game should be rebalanced so that mafia aren't quite winning by so much, but they should still be winning at the end of the day unless town steps it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:10 pm 
Excellent roll for Jackie. Her suspect list is:
Jordan
Lucy
Tin

Note that Jordan was already investigated negative on a kill and Lucy and Tin were both people who made kills.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:27 pm 
Tin killed Dylan. He only had to use one bang instead of two because Dylan forgot he had a shield. I'd feel a lot worse about telling Dylan he died anyway if it made the difference of a living player, but Tin was ready to shoot him a second time anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:50 pm 
Jackie thinks the investigation item I used was a one-time use (that's what I told her anyway) so she's confused about the point of proxies. I guess I didn't think it through quite that much >_<.

I'm waiting for someone to investigate Lucy on my kill.. She seems like the obvious person to investigate (apart from maybe checking dgrazian)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:59 pm 
Jordan and Luke are the only ones with scopes now.

Although, Josh has 3...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:56 pm 
Yay Justin! He's playing really well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:39 pm 
That Tin would have banged me again makes me feel less bad. I might have ran away though...

In general, I think abilities that protect against Bang should activate even if you forget right when you're killed. It's easy to freak out when someone surprises you by killing you and forget you're immune.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:35 pm 
Why isn't Alex using his Enchanted Prayer Book? It's ridiculously powerful, and I don't think there should be any reason not to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 pm 
Oh, he did. The spreadsheet just isn't updated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 pm 
Looks like they're trying to lynch jordan because she was on the Hunch list and has bad alibis (currently 5 or 6 votes). What'll they think of her surviving?

Amusing that last game jordan also survived a list for mysterious reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 pm 
Jackie just publicly killed Lucy, 30 seconds to day end.

This was a crazy last-minute discussion. I think jordan's getting lynched, but I don't think they made any decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:41 pm 
Gosh, did a lot of stuff happen right at day end.

Alex powered up his prayer book (now it lasts forever): if a townie would get lynched, instead no one is lynched. This will save jordanh when tonight finishes. Mafia have managed to throw quite a bit of doubt on this.

jamb thought she saw dgrazian's forum screen, and thought she saw that he was mafia. She's wrong. We didn't smite her. She's confused.

Jamb loaded a gun with her combinator (she didn't realize the combinator was necessary; this is relevant because it'll keep her from loading the gun again immediately with her new ammo) and shot Lucy. Lucy had transferred all her items to brunnerj right before she died. Then brunnerj transferred back a glass shield, but Lucy didn't realize she had it, so she didn't get to use it. That's the second time today that someone's been successfully banged despite having a shield. But it's possible that this one won't matter either:

Justin started using his enchanted bullet removal kit on Lucy right away. He's not sure he'll follow through with it. (If he cancels it when it's only a minute of day time into its use, he'll suffer only a 25/1500 chance of it breaking.)

Jamb was really, really confused when the one item she got from killing Lucy with a bang was a glass shield that can be used to not be killed with a bang. The expressions on her face were great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:11 pm 
achester wrote:
Looks like 48, of which town has found 16 and mafia 7.

Nooooo what did I miss