Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:30 am 
WE WILL BE USING THE WEB APP THIS GAME!

If you don't have an account, head over to mafia-app.mit.edu and create one. Your username must be the same as your forum username.

If you encounter a bug, report it to lambhen / jakob. Gods will be keeping a list of known bugs and things to pay attention to here. If you don't encounter any bugs, you're using the wrong web app.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: SERIAL KILLERS NO LONGER CAN MAKE INVESTIGATIONS IF THEY ARE AMONG THE FIRST TO VISIT A KILL SITE. This is a rules change that will make game implementation much easier on both gods and players. In particular, YOU NO LONGER NEED TO REPORT VISITING KILL SITES in any way, but you must still visit the kill sites. You are responsible for not making investigations without visiting the kill sites first - this is on your honor.

Bug/feature list to be posted below shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:41 am 
Some problems were here before, but others are products of trying to add a lot of new features in 3 days. If there are too many bugs during game, we'll abort and do this game the old-school way. If you receive information that you know you shouldn't (e.g. for a while there was a bug where group investigators got results on each individual in the set instead of ORing them together), try to meta it away. Here are some problems we're aware of and how you should handle them:

- notifications come up multiple times. ignore it.

- some day 0 actions will give you an error that only pregame actions may be taken, but the actions should still go through (check the game log, PM us if you're not sure.)

- stalker role info claims you havent chosen stalk target for tomorrow (but game log shows it)

- don't bother using any forms that report you visited the kill site

- priests: DO NOT PUT THE SAME PERSON ON YOUR SINNER LIST AND YOUR SAINT LIST. The web-app will not check this for you, but you're still not allowed to do it.

- investigative roles (except police officers, or people who have an elected investigation AND a role investigation): YOU CANNOT INVESTIGATE THE SAME PLAYER'S DEATH MORE THAN ONCE. (Think of it as if you only had one clue for their death in the old clue system.) The web-app is being weird and may or may not give you an error if you try to do so; we're depending on you to avoid re-investigating a death that you've already investigated.

- serial killers: the web-app calls your role "rogue." We'd have to change it in 10000000000 places across different files, so we're just leaving it like that for now. Pretend it says "serial killer."

- mafia stalking ability is hard to implement. Instead, we're just going to have an extra player named mafia-stalker, whose role is stalker. You may not kill this player or vote to lynch this player; this player may not make kills or lynches or do anything except stalk. (We're relying on your honor for this most recent sentence.) All mafia will have the login information. Yes, we're aware that this has annoying side effects like possibly changing the size of 20% of game; that's fine, and occasionally priests will be allowed to have an extra person on their lists.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:44 am 
In general, if you're unsure about whether something is actually happening, check the Game Log, which seems to be generally bug-free.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:51 am 
Note that Jakob is a player, so you should avoid asking him about role sensitive bugs if possible, but instead proxy through the mods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:25 pm 
how does one create an account at mafia-app.mit.edu?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:09 pm 
One waits for me to finish deploying the new code and running migrations, then one clicks the button in the top right corner labelled "sign up for game".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:03 pm 
Derp, maybe I'm just being dumb, but when I go to mafia-app.mit.edu, it just says "There is no current game; please log in as a mod or admin." and I can't seem to access anything other than Game Archive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm 
I don't think they've completely set up the webapp yet. This is also why we haven't received starting items.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 pm 
The web app is not completely set up yet. We'll post when it is. Until then, just PM us for game actions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm 
Good news: WEB APP WORKING! Jakob is the best :)

Bad news: EVERYONE needs to create a new account.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm 
Database was sad, I made a new db so as to avoid killing the old one, so old accounts are no longer existent; when you sign up you'll have to enter a password twice. That said, I think lambhen is currently working on creating a game so we can sign up on the webapp.

oh, this was posted at the same time as me lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:11 pm 
Please please please do this asap; there are currently no players and we can't add you until you exist!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm 
In case it's useful for mods to know, I thiiiink I have successfully made an account.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:07 pm 
I made a new account, and I am still getting the message:

There is no current game; please log in as a mod or admin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:21 pm 
isaacg: you're good. It'll say that until we start the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 pm 
If you have not already made an account on the web app, DON'T. We'll make an account for you and pm you when this is done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm 
Adding to bug list: if you are being stalked you may get multiple identical notifications saying so. This doesn't mean you're being stalked twice or three times. Also, it may still tell you you're being stalked on a future day, because the notification keeps popping up (but in this case you could correctly check the Game Log to see that you only have the notifications for the day you were actually being stalked.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:54 pm 
This bug might be resolved by clicking the "X" on the notification.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:51 pm 
Is there a way to receive messages from the forum on the web app? It's kinda annoying to check all the current threads every time you want to see if something new happened in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm 
The Game Log will show any game events, such as deaths and executions. It won't have everything people post on forums though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:07 pm 
You can also subscribe to the town square so that you get emailed when there's new posts