Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A story from Pesto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:34 pm 
Pesto wrote:
I attempted to kill Josh Tuesday at Squares, in the review tip. We were in adjacent squares; I reached over to his square while he was looking away, tapped his shoulder (reasonably hard), and said bang (in a normal level of voice, but there was music on there background). Immediately after that, the next call was called, so I didn't hear whether he said disarm. He says he's still alive, and hasn't contacted me. I don't know whether:

1. He's a townie who didn't notice the kill,
2. He noticed that a kill was attempted and disarmed it, but didn't see who banged him and so can't contact me, or
3. He disarmed me and just hasn't thought to contact me.

If it's case 1, I'm not sure whether that means the kill just didn't happen (since I needed to be clear enough about it) or whether Josh is dead but doesn't know it yet (since the fact that he's sort of oblivious shouldn't give him extra protection from kills). Because of that, I haven't contacted him to check about cases 2 and 3, or to coordinate on alibis and such.

I think the kill should count. Thoughts? We're the mods, so the decision will be made by vote among us. (Obviously, vote to preserve game funness, not to support your side.)

Post subject: Re: A story from Pesto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:39 pm 
I've PMed Josh asking for his role, and also asking a generic "How's the game going? Got any stories for us?" So that may help settle the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:08 pm 
Actually, I think the following solution is basically perfect: if Josh tells me about the Bang, then it happened and the game continues. If he doesn't say anything about the Bang (and thus is presumably unaware of it), then it didn't happen, and to compensate we give Pesto a kill on the next day that he wouldn't normally have one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:28 pm 
That's hilarious. I'm inclined to have it count and give any investigators who had an investigation that day an extra investigation for that kill. Making kills can be both hard and stressful and pesto shouldn't have to make an extra one. I guess this assumes Josh is innocent and died. If he's an SK we tell him he disarmed someone but not who. And we should tell pesto what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 pm 
Do we have a consensus on what we're doing? Also does anyone know josh's role?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:27 pm 
Josh has not responded to my PM. If you see him IRL, ask him to look at my PM. (However, try not to do this in a way that implies something happened to him.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:28 pm 
He's a townie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:35 pm 
I agree with the "have it count, retroactively" approach. Josh just shouldn't be alive if he shouldn't be alive, and it's better to fix that late than never.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:39 pm 
Jordan seems to believe we shouldnt have the kill count so its a tie. What do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:41 pm 
If theres no further discussion by 9:55, i'll post the kill.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 pm 
Personally, I think (1) neither Pesto nor us can know whether Pesto said 'Bang' clearly over the music, and (2) Pesto specifically would enjoy an extra chance to kill people :P

However I'm happy to be overruled -- after all I've never played this game before! Lucy, if you're on board with Josh dying, go ahead and post a death report.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:50 pm 
P.S. I agree that if Josh dies, investigators who had an investigation today should get a bonus investigate on his death.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm 
Should dead people be allowed to alibi people?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:20 pm 
Front Rooms is super upset about this. They won't be satisfied when they read this discussion :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:23 pm 
That doesn't matter :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:28 pm 
I don't think you were wrong! I think either call would've been fine. Yay dead people for modding for us!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:36 pm 
I fairly strongly disagree with this ruling, not that it would have mattered. If you don't say Bang loudly enough for the person you're killing to hear, a kill shouldn't count. Part of the point of saying Bang is so that someone listening would also hear it, and if the killee doesn't hear neither would they.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:11 pm 
I support the ruling we made. In future games, we could change the rules to specify that a kill doesn't count if the target doesn't notice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:20 pm 
So I'm unsure if Lucy / Pravina remembered the precedent situation (where the same thing happened with Victor killing Ishara); if they did, I think ruling with precedent would have been better. If they didn't, I think ruling that the kill went would have been fine IF the ruling happened shortly after the attempt. Having a kill delayed by two days messes with all kinds of things in game. We probably would have lynched someone day 2 if there were a kill, for one thing. Also, it's WAY harder to remember alibis two days later. That's without even getting into how an individual kill affects who people decide to trust for everything afterwards.

Basically, I think the question of whether or not a person who doesn't notice should die is probably "no," but people should absolutely not die with a two day delay.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:34 pm 
I had no idea this was a two day delay. I thought I received the story the same day that the Bang happened. This is because I don't know when Squares is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:35 pm 
Also, I didn't read the word "Tuesday." Either way, I still support our ruling for this game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:57 pm 
I disagree with this ruling but not in an especially violent way; I just think it could have been done better. (And with precedent now remembered perhaps next time will be done better.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:09 am 
I disagree with this ruling as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 pm 
I disagree with this ruling as well. (Re Linus's thing about having the rules specify this --- we really should write up a canonical set of "minimal sanity rules" that have things like that in it, that are assumed in play unless explicitly denied, and that are easily viewable by everyone. No roles or anything, this would be for things that wouldn't change for a long time. Would there be too much disagreement about what they'd be?)