Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elected Offices
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:33 pm 
I'm running for mayor. brunnerj is running for PO.

I'm running because I think I would be an unusually bad conscript this game so there's not too much risk of that, and because I don't mind dying early (whereas in the past I've wanted to live longer). So, mafia, feel free to kill me in revenge for my (hopeful) mayorhood!

Josh, want to comment on your reasons for running for office?

Post subject: Re: Elected Offices
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 pm 
In general, elected positions are disproportionately mafia, because mafia care a lot about stopping town from getting the positions. If I should die soon, I suggest we elect the next mayor at random. If I do die, I'll be fairly innocent-looking, so I hereby post the following list which I claim to have RNGed.

jakobw
ahkim
Mendel
libsackt
brunnerj
blumberg
Lucy
maxmurin
pravinas
fmajluf7
agrebe
dylanhen
michikyo
isaacg
Linus
mayars
ritagram

Naturally, we shouldn't elect someone inactive or suspicious, and if there's anyone particularly trusted they're a good choice; but if I die early, this will hopefully stop mafia from having a more-than-random chance at the mayorship. Currently, I advocate that jakobw should be my successor.

I suggest that brunnerj post his own randomized successor list in case of his death. (Assuming he and I get elected.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:08 pm 
The logic and reasoning behind this are sound, but didn't jamb just make it REALLY hard for anybody to run against her for Mayor? Does one person usually assert themselves early and keep the position?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
Randomized list of players. If I die, elect the first person on this list who is not deemed sketchy by most players.
jakobw
maxmurin
jamb
blumberg
agrebe
ritagram
ahkim
dyylanhen
brunnerj
michikyo
Mendel
pravinas
isaacg
Linus
mayars
Lucy
fmajluf7
libsackt

I am running for PO because I decided before game I wanted to run for a thing, and I like the predicting deaths aspect of priest which I have been in last games, and is a part of PO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:17 pm 
libsackt wrote:
The logic and reasoning behind this are sound, but didn't jamb just make it REALLY hard for anybody to run against her for Mayor? Does one person usually assert themselves early and keep the position?

Yeah, usually one person says "I'm running!" and since no one has evidence in any direction anyway, we go with the person who asserts themselves first. If you have a proposal for a better system, go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 pm 
Quote:
Yeah, usually one person says "I'm running!" and since no one has evidence in any direction anyway, we go with the person who asserts themselves first.

Not much of an election then, but I can't think of anything legitimate on Day 0.

Can we postpone elections to Day 1/2 until we have valid info on people's roles or does that give mafia too much of a head start?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm 
It's valuable to have the mayoral investigation on days 1 and 2; I guess Mafia can do some evil with mayoral powers but not very much, it's mostly a strictly beneficial thing to have in play imo. (The worst mafia can do is burn up one of the count-the-mafia uses; this early in the game, 3 votes don't do much generally, and they can report fake investigations but that shouldn't be significantly worse than no investigations because if we find out they're evil later, we can use that investigation as anti-evidence or no evidence.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:44 pm 
We shouldn't get valid info on people's roles, since that would also give mafia valid info on people's roles which is bad. As far as using relative levels of townieness, the mayor and P.O. can't hurt to exist on day 0, since if they start looking sketchy on day 1/2, and the correct town play is to choose them on day 1/2, we can just impeach and elect new ones then. However, impeachment is usually a bad idea because if someone is sketchy enough to be impeached, they probably also should be lynched. Essentially, there isn't much reason to not elect them on day 0 and keep them until they die.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:45 pm 
One person usually asserts themselves early, but doesn't usually keep the position, because they either die, or are impeached because they've lived too long. Or are lynched because they've lived too long, but if we go with the latter, then mafia can metagame that so shrug.

I'd rather not have someone vying for mayor pick their successor though. Assuming Jackie is town is not wise. Assuming any one person is town is not wise.

I was going to try and pick a successor for Jackie based on SEG, but both jamb and jakobw both reduce to the same value (8) so I'd feel weird suggesting anyone else. Mendel also reduces to 8. I'd be happier with the latter because

(a) They're brand new! Let's get new more involved!
(b) They're not the person that jackie appointed. Like, consider the case where jackie's mafia. By advocating another mafia for the position, she ensures that it's a while until we find out.

brunnerj's SEG is unique, so I'd nominate libsackt as successor, for reason (a) above.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:28 pm 
Ok, I guess this sounds reasonable.

After the signatures are collected when do we vote? Does this happen at the end of the day?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:36 pm 
The only vote is who to lynch. Getting signatures gets you elected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm 
Gotcha. Are we notified at the end of everyday with what signatures/petitions have been collected?

Pretty much my final question on this -- sorry for spamming the forum, but I thought it was better then spamming GMs/an individual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 pm 
Once a petition has enough signatures, whoever has it can submit it to God, and then it's posted on forums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 pm 
pravinas wrote:
I'd rather not have someone vying for mayor pick their successor though. Assuming Jackie is town is not wise. Assuming any one person is town is not wise.

I agree you shouldn't assume I'm town, while I'm alive. The entire point is that if the mafia kill me, you can be pretty sure I wasn't mafia (I could be SK I guess but then I still wouldn't have any idea better than randomness for who to pick as a successor). If I'm lynched for being a sketchball who's alive too long, then yeah, don't use my successor list.

@libsackt - it's great that you're asking questions! Rules are complicated; keep asking whenever you want clarification :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 pm 
++jamb. These lists should be used only if we die by mafia killing us, and ignored if we die due to being sketchy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 pm 
I need to meet with one more person for a signature at 10:30 tonight after tech squares because I am taking the petitions to ET afterward and will only get to 9 there. Can I meet one of the following people on campus somewhere bewteen w20 and building 36 to be the last signature:
Ahkim
Fmajluf7
Jakob
Libsackt
Lucy
Maxmurin
Mayars
Michikyo
Ritagram.
Alternatively I can meet one of you on campus tomorrow at 11am or 3-5pm, but it would be nice to get P.O. lists for day 1 by getting petitions done today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 pm 
It looks like I am only getting to 9 signatures tonight unless someone shows up at ET unexpectedly or comes to the ET van right now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm 
Dang it, I ran out of 36 (where ballroom just finshed) at 10:51 and the van was gone :( sorry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm 
FYI: I'm meeting brunnerj at 1530 in the math lounge (4-174) to sign his paper.

Unsure if this is the right place to post this