Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts for next game
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm 
I believe encoding schemes should be banned. They are against the spirit of codenames (which is to guess associated words from a clued words based on the meaning of the words) and there is no elegant way to prevent an arms race of clever encoding schemes. But even if there was I would want to prohibit them anyway.

I'm not sure if there is a rigorous way to do this (other than prohibiting spymasters from seeing the discussions of the spies, but I definitely don't want to go that far.) I think an "I know it when I see it" approach will work quite well.

The types of things I would like to prohibit are anything resembling: "If you clue for X we will interpret that as meaning Y". This can be refined as necessary. I think spies should probably be allowed to keep a queue of words that they want to guess.

To be super-clear, this is in no way whatsoever a criticism of those who have come up with some great encoding schemes. Awesome job to you guys!! You deserve the benefits they get you this game.