Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Investigation Proxying
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm 
Post investigation results that you got proxied here!

For new players: To protect the identities of pair investigators, we make proxy-chains so that it is harder to find who made the investigation. For example, if I made a pair investigation, I can pm to another player saying “Investigator Apple says {jamb, ahkim}->jasonye returns ahkim as innocent.” That player can then either post this sentence here or send this sentence on to another player (usually players choose between the two options randomly).

Note that mafia can also abuse this chain to send out fake investigations, so be aware.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:19 pm 
[sualeh, mxwang] -> sualeh not guilty, [mxwang, j450] -> j450 not guilty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:29 pm 
This seems like a result that is reasonably significant at this stage, especially given that there is an hour and a half before night?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:38 pm 
So there are a few reasons why this might not be so significant:

- there is a 50-50 chance of getting a result this significant by choosing three innocent players.
- mafia can easily send out an investigation like this, mostly with impunity
- this killer has a decent chance of being immune to investigations anyway

That said, mxwang should continue to be investigated, possibly against gurev and/or jakob as ksedlar suggests, and they should certainly post their alibi ASAP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm 
jupiter says: {yyao1, minimario} -> yyao1 innocent
jupiter says: {minimario, jakob} -> minimario innocent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:44 pm 
(mxwang, gurev) returned mxwang innocent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 pm 
Is there a second investigation with this? In particular, if two investigations come from the same source, it's useful to know that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm 
This was the only information I received.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 pm 
it's kinda sketchy to receive exactly 1 pair? pairs come in sets of 2...

This might very slightly increase my suspicion of mxwang. It has a smell to it as though the mafia were urgently trying to exonerate one of their own from being executed (whether or not she actually made the kill.) I think I'm still voting no-execution though.

Relatedly, conditioned on mxwang being mafia, I want to go up the proxy chain and determine who made and/or solicited that investigation.

Please tell whoever proxied to you to give their full results. If this wasn't a pair investigation (e.g. it's the result of a roleblock or a priest list) that's useful to know, and if it was, we want the second pair investigation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 pm 

Isn't it possible to have one pair investigation from a splitter?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
Splitters investigations can't have taken effect yet. At earliest, they choose a set on day 0, mafia picks one on day 1, and then the receivers of the investigations get them on day 2. Also, splitter-investigation receivers should declare themselves as such (they have no danger of being trapped, and knowing who made the investigation is useful if it's revealed to be false.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
I would recommend that somebody repeat the (mxwang, gurev) investigation. Just in case mxwang actually did make the kill. And pair investigations are plentiful for we should liberally double-check suspicious ones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 pm 
Confirmed that there is only one pair. Should I ask further up?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 pm 
Yes; if the person proxying to you says they only got one pair, you should have them ask the person proxying to them, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 pm 
I at one point received a (different) single investigation, which later turned out to be paired. I think some pair investigators are splitting up their results

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
Pair investigators should not do this. It makes it much harder to track down false investigations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 pm 
I received two splitter investigations today.
{gurev, Jakob} -> brunnerj returns gurev as innocent.

Still deciding on how to use the other one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 pm 
I investigated {Jakob, rachelyz} -> brunnerj and got rachelz as innocent. This is now 3 total investigations on Jakob as not-innocent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 am 
why did mafia give ksedlar two splitter investigations?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:50 am 
Splitter investigation:

{ellenwan, jakob} ==> brunnerj returns ellenwan as innocent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:01 am 
@Julian, maybe they hoped I wouldn’t use them right away and that they could kill me first? Maybe I happened to be in smaller (or effectively smaller) sets? Maybe they wanted to cluster the investigations on fewer people if possible?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:48 am 
I should say, since the mafia already know: I also have a splitter investigation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:03 am 
Splitter investigation: {mxwang, gurev} -> brunnerj returns mxwang (same as the previously proxied result).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 am 
I think we probably don't want to use more investigations on the brunnerj death. It's maaaaybe worth it for someone who is not me or m2w to use a splitter investigation to check Jakob with some other uninvestigated person.

But IMO it is not worth it for e.g. a pair investigator to investigate the death and proxy out a result, because at this point Jakob looks sketchy enough to me that I don't want people making investigations on him and not being directly held accountable. (For instance, if a pair investigation came out clearing Jakob now, I would be suspicious enough of the pair investigator that I would want multiple people to directly know their identity, which is bad for trapping reasons.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 pm 
I am proxying the result:

One of {Julian, meghal, ixa, yyao1} killed jakob. (What a surprise!)

Presumably that came from a priest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:21 pm 

Proxying pair investigation:

[rachelyz, timgu] -> timgu not guilty
[rachelyz, agdawson]-> agdawson not guilty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 pm 
Minimario, is this investigator the same as any of the ones yesterday?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 pm 
ksedlar wrote:
I think we probably don't want to use more investigations on the brunnerj death. It's maaaaybe worth it for someone who is not me or m2w to use a splitter investigation to check Jakob with some other uninvestigated person.

I actually think it would be good to get a couple more pair investigations against jakob for Josh's death. That's one of the cheapest ways for us to increase our confidence in Julian's innocence (since pair investigations are plentiful, at least in theory --- use your pair investigations everyone!)