Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:21 pm 
As an inexperienced player, I just want to get a sense of how much of what's going on is "normal." Do decisions for lynching generally come down to one person a few minutes before 23:00? Also, is it usually only a few people who are talking and/or actively contributing to suspicions and results?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 pm 
Decisions for lynching, hypothetically, should be discussed far before day end. In practice, yeah last minute lynch mobs are pretty common, often with not that many people talking. :/ I encourage people to talk more!

As for whether people are behaving normally on a per-person basis, I have no data on the new players. For the experienced players (me, Daniel Grazian, gurev, ixa, Julian, m2w, meghal, pravinas), my thoughts are the following:
- Daniel Grazian is talking less than usual, but he also said prior to game that he wanted to be less involved, in order to let newer players do more of the talking.
- It's a bit sketchy that m2w "forgot" to use her splitter investigation yesterday, but not *that* sketchy (I know m2w is pretty hosed).
- pravinas is acting very consistently with how they usually act as town; this give me a minor update that they are town
- I don't think anyone else is being particularly normal/abnormal with respect to their behavior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm 
@lindrew

please feel free to suggest vote targets earlier. I think what happened tonight is unfortunately "normal" but like, I hate it. It's stressful and it's super easy for mafia to manipulate a last-second vote mob.

personally, I'd rather feel pretty assured with my vote by around 9pm with some chance of reasonably predictable eleventh hour swings, but not like, a whole mob on someone out of the blue like that. I was kinda panicky for like, an hour because I had no clue who to vote for until 10:53 on the fucking dot and it was Bad and I'd rather not do it again this game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 pm 
And by reasonably predictable I mean "we've been considering lynching jamb or dylanhen all day, and around 9pm it seems like the tide is going against jamb, but oh wait! there was a last minute investigation exonerating her, so let's go with dylanhen instead"

not "uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh what do we do help idk what to do let's lynch *spins wheel* uuuuhh that guy!"

that is not a fun execution mob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 pm 
Ya, I definitely agree with all of the above. I did not enjoy making that pretty arbitrary decision and hope nothing similar happens on any other day this game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 pm 
This sort of last-minute execution decision is not a terribly uncommon occurrence, but I would say that it's been particularly bad this game and particularly bad today. The main issue is that more players need to be speaking up and taking part in the conversation throughout the day. And investigators need to be sending out their results much earlier. In any case, it is not good to be making these decisions last minute.

Regarding a few players dominating the conversation, there are always some players who are much more active than others, but I think this game has an unusually high number of inactive/minimally active players. The solution is for more people to speak up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:43 pm 
Regarding what ksedlar said about me, both things are true: I've been significantly less active in the game than usual, and the reason is that I want to give the new players more space to determine the course of the game. I think I'm still one of the largest voices in this game, which says something about how actively I typically play :-P

So new players, please speak up more! Don't let me be one of the most active players!

As a side note, ksedlar has been significantly less active than usual in this game as well. This makes me somewhat suspicious of her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am 
I realized I should probably also mention that I have non-public reasons for trusting pravinas somewhat more as well. Probably the sum of the reasons results in moderate trust in them as being town.