Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: roleblocking
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 am 
people should be proxying out who they roleblocked, both so people know if they're getting trapped, and to know who to exempt from having made kills.

also, in general don't roleblock more active/experienced players. if they're mafia, it doesn't hurt the mafia that much this early in game since there's so many possible mafia to make kills. it hurts town if people who are going to actually make use of their roles don't use them.

Post subject: Re: roleblocking
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:13 pm 
I agree that roleblocks should be proxied out. I'm ambivalent about who roleblockers target (experienced players are more likely to make kills, so it is useful to have mechanical confirmation that they didn't make kills on a particular day), but Meghal's point is also valid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:46 am 
I don't think town should be roleblocking except for obviously correct roleblocks like Julian. You are roughly trading a random person's role for the day for making a single person not make kills on a given day, but this seems like a terrible trade. The average role is much better than "a random person can't kill for the day".

I am roleblocked today, and I think the above is clear enough that I am suspicious of whoever roleblocked me, and I think they should proxy it out so somebody knows who they are (or if nobody claims it so we know the mafia have a roleblocker).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am 
Roleblockers have to roleblock *someone*, right? They can’t just not roleblock.

I agree that they should proxy out stuff though. Otherwise, they’re strictly harmful. E.g. Gurev is blocked from his role AND we can’t be sure that he’s telling the truth about being roleblocked, so he isn’t exonerated of kills.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:54 am 
Replying to myself: roleblocking completely inactive players is better than not-roleblocking (even if it were possible). It means you aren't preventing active players from using their role, but you prevent mafia from just feigning inactivity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:22 pm 
Big rip someone roleblocked me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:37 pm 
tbh being roleblocked is a blessing in disguise because it means you can't have done the murders of the day if someone else proxies out an "I roleblocked Francisco"

I mean mafia can do that too but it's risky because then they look bad if you start looking bad for a kill, so like, even if you're mafia who isn't roleblocked, claiming that you are is tantamount to saying "I won't make the kill today and someone else will in my place"

It's also possible someone set a trap on you, which means that the mafia is someone who knows what your role is. If you've told someone your role, make sure someone else knows who knew your role (but not what your role is).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:43 pm 
actually, on that last point, probably only tell a third party of you suspect youve been trapped

I... should really go to sleep instead of giving Bad Advice to new players.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:07 pm 
Roleblockers must roleblock someone. If they do not choose someone, GMs will randomly choose for them.