Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 pm 
Hi everyone! I'm town, so I finally get to make this post. My alignment is not relevant for what follows, though: I hope we can all agree that what I am proposing is in the interests of town. Please read this post in full, and respond to the bolded items.

In order win the game, we need to be able to distinguish the mafia from the town by their actions. This isn't exactly easy, but it gets much much harder when town-aligned players act like mafia do. Here are some things that mafia like to say:

- "I forgot to vote"
- "I forgot to use my role action that day"
- "I forgot to post my alibis"
- "I forgot to tell anyone what I learned"

Being able to say these things is hugely helpful for the mafia. It allows them to vote only when it is helpful for them, to not have to account for their lack of contribution, to avoid suspicion for lack of an alibi, and to be able to trot out "news" only when convenient. The reason mafia get away with saying these things, is because town-aligned players say these things too. So this game, I don't want to hear any of this. Most importantly, I would like everyone to make the following commitment:

I will cast a vote every day for a player who is not myself. I will send GMs a message including my role action every day (including day 0) that I am legally allowed to. If it ever is discovered that I did not do this, I will confess to being mafia-aligned.

It is very easy for everyone to follow this pledge. First thing every day, submit an arbitrary role action to the GMs and put in a vote in the google form. It really doesn't matter who you vote for or what you do with your role: please feel free to choose randomly. I will be casting a vote for swapnilg tomorrow morning, for example. This takes ~5 minutes a day, and you can always change your role action or vote later in the day if you decide to. There's really no excuse for not doing this, and it is by far the most important thing you can do as a member of the town.

At any given time at which you are doing something mafia-game-related, your priority list should be (in decreasing order of importance):

1. Make sure you have voted for a player who is not yourself
2. Make sure you have submitted a role action for the day, if applicable
3. Make sure you have posted alibis for all the suspicious deaths which have occurred
4. Make sure that if you have information from your role or items, you have either posted it on forums or proxied it out (more on this in another post)
5. Discuss the game on forums or in-person.

Everyone, please post in this thread saying that you agree to the pledge (the bolded statement above) ASAP.

I considered including priorities 3 and/or 4 in the pledge, but I wanted to make sure it was as reasonable as possible to follow, in the naive hope that we could get everyone to agree to and follow this. If people want to add on to their pledge, please do. I will commit to the bolded pledge, and also that I will post alibis for all suspicious deaths within 18 hours of their being posted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 pm 
I pledge allegiance to the flag of mafia, er I mean town.

More importantly ++Julian; If we can hold the mafia accountable for their actions (or lack thereof), then it goes a long way to help town make decisions with all the important information on hand. I commit to this pledge :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 pm 

I pledge but this feels somewhat hollow.
What methods will we use to check if people use role powers. Furthermore, I can see ways that the mafia can use the idea of random voting to their advantage still.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 pm 
the important thing is that nobody can claim to have not used their role powers. often mafia will want to say that they did something, and then we should be able to ask what they did every day, and catch them if they don't have proper explanations for what they did.

random voting is MUCH better than self-voting. When people self-vote, they get themselves executed by the mafia due to tiebreaker votes on a later day (or the same day). Also, mafia self-voting allows them to feign inactivity effectively. Meanwhile, (personal) random voting is unpredictable and definitely harder for the mafia to take advantage of. These aren't hypotheticals: all of these things have happened multiple times.

Not only do we need this pledge to hold the mafia accountable, but it's also just good for townpersons to commit to this bare minimum of activity. We are only as strong as our weakest link.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 pm 
I pledge to vote for julian as soon as day 1 starts. Also, all the other things. ++doing a bare minimum is a lot better than inactivity.

Also i agree that if "i forgot" is not a valid excuse town will do a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 pm 
I'll commit to this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm 

Same

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm 
I will cast a vote every day for a player who is not myself. I will send GMs a message including my role action every day (including day 0) that I am legally allowed to. If it ever is discovered that I did not do this, I will confess to being mafia-aligned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:33 pm 

I pledge to this, and will vote randomly each morning for a Julian in the game (with possible intent to change my vote throughout the day)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:44 pm 

same

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 pm 
commit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 am 
me 2 thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 am 

same

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 pm 

^^^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 pm 
plejd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm 

same

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:21 pm 

same

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm 
I strongly endorse this plan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 pm 
Bumping this: in particular if you have any investigative powers that you haven't used yet today, make investigations (NOT for swapnilg's death because clhong claims she did it) and report them in the "Proxy Chains and Sharing Information" thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm 
okay. i will admit that ixa discovered that i did not submit priest actions for night 1 and defaulted to my night 0 sets. as promised, i confess to being mafia-aligned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 pm 
I think we should lynch cjq unless we really strongly think someone else is mafia; Given that he admits to not submitting a priest set, and that mafia probably contains a one priest who lost their role powers/splitter who made the kill, I'm v suspect.