Live Action Mafia

A game of sneakiness and paranoia
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:38 pm 
If you haven't already, please read and respond to my first thread about daily actions here: viewtopic.php?f=465&t=7141 . Please read this thread too! Proper proxying is important :)

Sometimes as a town player you will learn something that may be helpful for other players to know. When this happens, you should let someone know. How exactly to do this depends on the nature and source of the information. In this post I will lay out some guidelines for how you should handle certain situations. First, "paranoia texting":

- If you are somewhere with another player without other players around, send a message to a third player stating this
- If you see someone attempting to make a kill, send their name via an instant messaging service to another player ASAP. Then post this on town square if you don't die
- If you receive a message of any kind from a player around the time that they are announced to have been killed post this on forums (you would think this would be obvious, but uhhhhh.....)

Ok, now for what to do when you learn mechanical stuff from the GMs (or another player tells you mechanical stuff from the GMs). There is room for a little debate on the details for these, but hopefully this is a good starting point. Others should feel free to suggest additions or revisions.

- If you receive a splitter investigation, post this on town square before ~5pm.
- If you are roleblocked, post this on town square sometime during the day you were roleblocked.
- If you learn from a dead conspiracy theorist, post this on town square immediately.
- If you are a priest, and learn that a sinner killed a saint, I would post on town square immediately.
- If you are a gay knight, and used both of your powers, post what you learned on town square.
- If you learn something from an item, post this on town square immediately.

In the remaining cases, the information you gain would give away your role and allow you to be trapped by the mafia. In the following situations, you should "proxy the info out":

- If you are a pair investigator and did a pair investigation (so, twice every day)
- If you are a roleblocker and can confirm that someone was roleblocked (so, every day)
- If you are a splitter and can confirm that some people got splitter investigations (so, every day)
- If you are a priest and someone in one of your sets died
- If you are a seer, and learned something town needs to know

Ok, but how does one "proxy"? Pick a codename for yourself which you will use the whole game. Then pick another player, and send them a message of the form:

[[role_name]] [[codename]] says that [[INFO]].

Then, pick a different player, and tell them the name of the player you sent information to. This step is very important! The point of this process is to anonymously get information posted, but still be able to track down the source of the information if we decide it is suspicious. If you don't tell another person you sent the information, then the path of the info may be lost due to people dying.

If you receive a message of this form, you should flip a coin, or some such random-ish process. If heads, you should copy-paste the message you received onto forums. If tails, and the information isn't immediately urgent, you should copy-paste the message and send it to another player, just as if you were the source of the information. You should also tell another person that you proxied like this. The idea here is that nobody ever knows for sure that the person who sent them the information was actually the source of the information, so that the mafia cannot trap up.

Again, the details of the process are up for debate, but it is important that we proxy things like this as much as possible. Please ask questions if you aren't sure what something means!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:07 pm 
oh, heres something that confused me a lot last game until i asked

investigation info is usually of the format “{ksedlar, jasonye} -> cjq = ksedlar.”

this means that, for cjq’s death, a splitter investigation on ksedlar and jasonye returned that ksedlar is (nonstrictly) more innocent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm 
splitter banana says the sets sent to mafia day 0 were {m2w, sir nicoeus, agu1, julian} vs. {aok, brunnerj, ixa}

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 pm 

TOWN VIGILANTE says I (CARINA< CLHONG) KILLED SWAGNIL AT 4PM, HE IS CONFIRMED TO BE A SERIES KILLER.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm 

clhong wrote:
TOWN VIGILANTE says I (CARINA< CLHONG) KILLED SWAGNIL AT 4PM, HE IS CONFIRMED TO BE A SERIES KILLER.

lmao swagnil. What's a series killer and how do you know

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 pm 

nvm hadn't read other posts yet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 pm 

swagnil said he's a series killer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 pm 

The problem with this claim though is that even if he pleaded mafia, he shouldn't have given away the info about being a serial killer vs mafia. In the case of a mafia on mafia kill, both parties should know this information already.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 pm 
A seer claims that clhong is vig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 pm 

Investigator cc46 claims that {clhong, alexjli} -> swapnilg = clhong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:03 pm 
...as in clhong is innocent? what?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:04 pm 

I am confused too. Also at the lateness of receiving the proxy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 pm 
Yeah, that would be really, really strange. Definitely go back through the proxy chain to confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:17 pm 
{cjq, alexjli} -> Julian returns alexjli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 pm 

cjq wrote:
splitter banana says the sets sent to mafia day 0 were {m2w, sir nicoeus, agu1, julian} vs. {aok, brunnerj, ixa}

I have not received a splitter set so other group?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 pm 

Daniel Grazian wrote:
Yeah, that would be really, really strange. Definitely go back through the proxy chain to confirm.

From back up the proxy chain, the investigator seems pretty sure this is right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 pm 

I was also contacted by someone at least two steps higher in the proxy chain than Nico and told that the information is reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:52 pm 
I am going to tentatively name ixa's investigator Detective Pikachu since they didn't say its source. If you are the source of this investigation, continue using this pseudonym.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm 
Splitter Opal chose the sets {clhong, brunnerj, ixa} and {Sir Nicoeus, tkblack, agu1} for Day 1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am 
A splitter who did not give me a codename told me that the splitter sets for today were [aok,dgrazian,jiwoney9] and [brunnerj,cjq,vluo]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:43 pm 

Karengao you should say something. You know some information.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 pm 
Update on unnamed splitter: the same splitter gave the sets [aok, brunnerj, dgrazian] and [ixa, Julian, m2w, sir nicoeus] on day 0. The first set was chosen.

In other news, I apparently still don't fucking understand proxy chains.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:44 pm 
clhong wrote:
Karengao you should say something. You know some information.

lol good luck with that

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm 

Roleblocker Defective Charizard says that roleblocks were alexjli on day 0, cjq on day 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 am 
Splitter Opal says out of {clhong, brunnerj, ixa} and {Sir Nicoeus, tkblack, agu1}, the mafia chose {clhong, brunnerj, ixa}

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:17 pm 

Investigator M&M claims {agu1, ixa} -> Julian = agu1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:27 pm 

aolsen0 wrote:
Investigator M&M claims {agu1, ixa} -> Julian = agu1

Can someone ask why or rather when this investigation was done. We've already established Cjq as the likely killer of julian so it seems like a wasted investigation.